Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Chesapeake & Ohio Canal historic site, national park, Potomac, MD

Sunday we continued our explorations of national parks around the Potomac River. This time instead of in Virginia, we were on the Maryland side, at the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal site in Potomac, Maryland. The "Powtomack Canal" begun by George Washington and others didn't last long on the Virginia side, but the C&O Canal which was then built on the Maryland side was in use from Cumberland, MD to Georgetown, DC, until the early 20th century. Some info links, park service: http://www.nps.gov/choh/index.htm and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_and_Ohio_Canal
We intend to explore further north along the Potomac river to Harpers Ferry this fall (fall color and fall photo opportunities).

The light is totally wrong for late afternoon/early evening photos on the Potomac from the Maryland side... you're essentially shooting into the setting sun. Some initial DP2 photos are online at www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann This is our favorite thus far http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann/3901701012/

We walked I think about a hot, humid mile to the Olmstead Island overlook and back (where the above photo was taken). Nick says it was more like 2 miles, but I think it just felt that way ... plus he was carrying my camera bags for me. I had the SD14 with 10-20mm EX DC lens and the DP2 in use, plus I carried the DP1... I did a few shots with the Pentax K20D but they're still fuzzy and I cannot figure out why.. and whether I should take it to Seattle and Mr. Rainier.

I'm actually rather eager for cooler weather for our walks, as well as for the fall color. I'm trying to increase what I call my 'endurance' for the Mt. Rainier park treks.

No comments: